Do you owe a certain amount of money and haven’t paid up yet? Then you may expect to be contacted by private debt collectors! You may have come across this article to check on what they would usually do, fearing for the worst. But not to worry, as these private debt collectors have rules to follow and restrictions to look after, so you should not expect anything drastic. If that’s the case, then you will be able to take action in court. It’s best to be knowedgable with what a debt collector can and can’t do in order for you to be able to properly deal with one if such time comes. So in this article, we show you some of the restrictions private debt collectors have.
Restrictions of Private Debt Collectors
Here are some of the restrictions these debt collectors have:
- They are not allowed to call during 9 in the evening until 8 in the morning.
- They cannot use obscene languages or threats as a way for you to pay your debt.
- They cannot pretend they are of higher law or take a certain title they are not, unless they are truly licensed lawyers.
- They are not able to get directly collect the debt you owe.
- They are only allowed to contact you through letters, e-mails, or calls and other means that are not life-threatening.
Now that you are aware of the different restrictions private debt collectors have, you will now be able to know what you can or cannot do as well. Make sure you are polite and calm when talking and that you pay up, following the instructions of the debt collector. If ever they do end up breaking their rules, then you will be able to take it up to court, provided that you have the sufficient proof.